They do always say you don’t know what you’re missing till it’s gone. While I’ve always enjoyed a good sleep, I admit to taking it for granted.
For the last few weeks I have been struggling with sleep. I have no issues whatsoever falling asleep, especially when I’m tired (which I often am). My challenge has been staying asleep.
At first I attributed it to the heat. Jamaica’s temperatures have been painfully high, and most nights I sleep with just my fan as I try to avoid the high costs of running my air conditioning on a nightly basis. Unfortunately, those nights I often end up sweating through what sleep I get, tossing and turning to find a new cool spot on the bed.
However, more recently, the issue has not been the quality of my sleep. When I sleep, I sleep fine. What does happen is I often wake up a few hours after going to sleep. Since I typically get to bed around 10/11 p.m., that means I am waking up somewhere between 1 and 3 a.m. a few nights a week. Try as I might, I struggle to get back to sleep and after an hour or so I usually give up and just accept that I’m up for the day.
Now clearly, that means I’m getting very little sleep on those nights which impacts my productivity for the rest of the day. It has been going on for a few weeks now and it is weighing on me. I can feel myself getting irritable and my brain is foggy more often than not.
So here are the plans to deal with my sleep issues:
- Stop working on my bed. I will have to try to keep my bed for sleep purposes only, lol.
- Reduce after hours computer use. Not sure how to do this one, but I will work on it.
- Reduce blue light. So I already own a pair of orange goggles/glasses that I have used before. Time to try them again.
- Meditate. I’ve been doing this in the mornings to help with stress etc. I am going to introduce some nightly meditation to help clear my mind for sleep.
- Journaling. Perhaps writing stuff down will get it off my head in case that’s what affecting me.
- Warm bath. I need to get my water heater repaired so I can try the warm bath thing.
I’m open to other suggestions as I am really struggling with this problem.